Liver, gall bladder, bile duct & pancreatic tumor surgeries can be performed by conventional open method or by laparoscopy. Laparoscopic or Keyhole cancer surgery has several advantages over conventional open surgery with same cure rate. Only surgery is curative in these tumors and cancers. Additional therapies (chemotherapy & radiotherapy) are mostly supportive. But, many patients and their relatives try to avoid surgery for the fear of the immense trauma for their loved ones, resulting in patient getting wrong or less effective treatment. With laparoscopy the trauma is much less and makes the treatment more acceptable. The Team MACS precisely addresses all these issues and works relentlessly for a better life.
The most common symptom of cancers bile duct & pancreas are:
- Unexpected weight loss & loss of apatite could be one of the earliest symptoms. This occurs because of changes in digestion.
- Jaundice is when eyes turn yellow. This occures early in case of cancers of common bile duct and head of pancreas.
- Itching occurs because of jaundice.
- The juices secreted by liver and pancreas are very important in digestion. Indigestion (dyspepsia) and change in color of stool (feces) very common.
- Vague pain in the upper part of abdomen could be the only symptom in some cases.
The diagnosis is reached based on investigations which include various blood tests including liver functions tests and imaging tests like CT scan and MRI scan. A needle biopsy should never be performed on a suspected gallbladder cancer as this can spread the disease. Rarely a biopsy is needed. If the investigations shows a cancer far too progressed for a curative procedure, then only a needle biopsy is planned.