When Problems Can’t Wait: Symptoms that Cannot be Ignored
We are in a standstill because of corona virus pandemic. However, the concern is for you is to understand what requires urgent attention and what does not. There are many symptoms that can wait. Even most of the freshly diagnosed cancer patients can wait for few weeks (under doctors’ guidance). Hell will not break loose.
Medical emergency can be defined as a sudden unexpected occurrence of circumstances like changes in physical or mental status, or a new symptom, such as severe pain, that affects a person’s well-being and demands immediate action.
This is applicable to all emergencies and not just cancer related emergencies.
Complications related to cancer and cancer treatment don’t always have regard for time and situation in the society. Problems may arise any time of the day or night, and a medical emergency comes on suddenly.
For eg, normally, a fever might be a typical sign of illness and nothing to be alarmed about. However, for cancer patients with compromised immunity, a fever of 1000 F or more signals it’s time to call the ambulance or visit the emergency room.
Main Cancer Symptoms That You Should Seek Care
- Bloating of Abdomen
- Severe diarrhoea
- Shortness of breath
- Extreme weakness or weakness affecting a part of the body
- Confusion or change in behaviour
- Swollen leg or arm
- Injury or trauma
- Rash or skin discoloration
- Fever Higher than 1000 F
What Should We Do?
Please call on the Emergency Helpline and discuss the symptoms. The medical team will guide you.
If the patient is stable, you could consider consulting on online platforms to take an opinion before rushing to the hospital.
Emergency Doctor Consultations:
- Chat Based Doctor Consultation: You can use a platform like Practo or Lybrate to consult. They have provision for sharing all the reports and discuss.
- Video Consultation: There are apps like 4Care App (Android only) for video consultation. (Please email or request for consultation to Email: Suchithra@4basecare.com or contact: +91 88612 55283.) They can help you to consult your doctor.
- Email consultation: you can email your reports and take an opinion.